Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Tis the season


Here we are in a season that is festive and exciting.  I went to a Christmas party last night, the first one of this season and it was so clear to me that the direction that God is leading David and I is where he wants us. 

I have always loved Christmas growing up.  My mom and dad always made it special for our family.  They have always exemplified for us what it is to give abundantly, even with the little we sometimes had and we watched, as God would multiply it.  Christmas eve, we would sing Come on ring those bells and happy birthday to Jesus; traditions that growing up pointed my sibling and I to “the reason for the season”.  When I married a Jewish believer in Yeshua, we talked about doing Chanukah instead of Christmas in our home and in my heart I thought that would never happen.  I never dreamed that such a precious season in my life could be replaced by something I have never celebrated or known.  Yet the Lord has changed my heart.  Here I sit, sipping my coffee, reflecting on the transforming power of the Holy Spirit and the blessing that comes with honoring my husband and the joy of making new traditions for my family. 

I never dreamed that could happen without the tree, lights, and all that comes with Christmas but I find myself enjoying those things around me but not desiring them for our life. 

It’s hard to start something like all new holidays and celebrations that have never been a part of my life before and add them to my life.  I am reminded that, His grace is sufficient and the Holy Spirit is our teacher.  He is teaching me and getting me excited for the things that are different from the gentile way I was brought up and for the Hebrew/Jewish mindset and how can I make each and every season special for my family. 

This year we will be celebrating Chanukah as the Barker family and enjoying my family’s celebration of Christmas but the Lord is teaching me as I imagine he taught Ruth.  How great is our God and so greatly to be praised!  May we be reminded regardless of what we celebrate that He is faithful to His word and Yeshua is the light of the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment